27/02/17

It's the first day of Unit7. Originally, I should have participated some group tutorial but I didn't finish my draft and research yet so I couldn't ask them to give ma any feedback about my work.  I just went to the library and finished filling the draft and researched more. my theme is shelter and I chose the concept as Refugee. I will find some more interesting images and their life story. They are living almost like wanderer and nomad. Every night they might have to build temporary camp. Even though it’s not their fault, each choice can be a matter of life or death. The biggest problem is that there are many countries that do not welcome them. The overall aim of my project is showing the refugees’ hard life to them and winning them over to think again about accepting refugees.

06/03/17

I had a bad cold so I couldn't attend the class today. I did just drawing illustration the people who lost their dear friends, peers or family members to convey their emotion to them well. I thought illustration was not that important in the sketchbook but my thinking is changed. Its really effective to help people to understand my work.

13/03/17

I had tutorial with Daniel. I brought my proposal and sketchbook. She told me It is not for 3 weeks work.. I really agree with that. I’ve barely finished to write down the proposal and just filled a few start pages with mood pages and starting pages. I will really do the portfolio steadily since today. Especially, on this project, I would like to come up with abstractive designs because I usually just portrayed quite normal or simple designs which is quite unique or innovative. I think the tutor liked this proposal, either. so I’m going to do thinking like that. On this developing process, I took very one-dimensional approach to drawing some guys having a load of burdens so I kept drawing more simply with modern tailoring jacket. I think It’s quite boring just to drawing in making progress. So I will bring some stuffs and put them on the body like the refugees in journey.

25/03/17

I went Brick Lane Market today just to do shopping and looking around about murals and graffitis. I think their talent is really amazing. Of course, in some case, I don't understand why they paints on the wall of the public building illegally with this incredible talents. But I really respect their works. the quality is really insane as well

130101-brick-lane-london-03(pp_w768_h512).jpg 96eb1cfd670672959d2cc44dc3da822e.jpg

10~12/04/17

I went Oxfame store to get some jackets to drape or deconstruct the jackets. For me, there is some different reasons to drape from others. I usually just manipulate some parts of the specific points with calico making progress, however, I mainly do the draping with very classic formal jacket and mix with previous designs when I think the drawings in my project is too abstract designs and looks like womenswear. That's why I do draping.

KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-04-23-11-44-08_5.jpeg  KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-04-19-21-41-57_26.jpeg   KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-04-19-21-42-02_58.jpeg

In this project, I thought like that so I keep draping until I find quite exciting shape and silhouette.

28/02/17

Today, I had group tutorial with Daniel. It helped me think again about my concept and theme. I also got some other idea about refugee. I basically focused two things in their life. First one is the escaping people carrying a lot of burdens and second one is about their temporary shelter. Whenever they move to another place they have to carry their stuffs on the body as well as build camps. There are many different shape and silhouette which is interesting to me. I could find many old images of people related to the images I tried to find. Long time ago in my Korea, there were some people who earn a living at selling some stuffs in the market. They carry the various burdens on the Korean A frame on the back. The images quite interesting. Also, I was impressed by the contemporary artist Lucy orta's Refuge wear. His main idea was tent and I think he is inspired from tents and the fabric of tent. It might be really good way to combine with my second idea. One of my peers gave me another idea about refugee life vest in the group tutorial. It's like 200,000 abandoned lifejackets on the Greek island of Lesbos shows the stark reality of the migrant crisis. I could find some colour or interesting shapes which is used many life vest. I will begin to do sketchbook from today. The starting point is war and I will show the story of their life.

07/03/17

In class we had some workshop about sewing like making pleats or gathering and painting. tutor emphasised that this project is all about me so if I don't need to do the workshop today and if we've thought other works instead of the workshop, it's okay to do our works ourselves. During research about reality of civil war and the reasons why there are so many refugees and migrants in the street, I found other guys like nurse or doctors who visit the troops to heal the wounded and I was inspired by their clothes. so I'm being research about their costume and their works and I will focus more about them today. I will find some impressive shape from their clothes and draw and mix with other clothes. The main point of my proposal is about showing the refugees life like how they live really difficult live but before I dig into inside of their life I want to tell you the story before they escape from their country, flee their home. and I will attempt to find some interesting stuffs from there.

22/03/17

During research more artists, I got the hug impression from an artwork about refugee. That was 'Refuge Wear'-Lucy Orta. The artist made many wearable tents. It seems like some tents and sleeping bags added sleeve and pants. It gave me really big inspiration.

https://www.studio-orta.com/en/artworks/serie/1/Refuge-Wear

I could find very interesting works like 'Connector', 'Body Architecture' from her art pieces. I think the common point is that they all used tents or sleeping bags basically. I thought I could really make these to relate with my project.

13/04/17

Today, I thought It's gonna really good to make some 3D works related to my process. I'm keep making some knot because I was coming up with designs that have some details of knotting on the sleeves or trouser cuff. I tied a knot over and over. KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-04-19-21-43-30_99.jpeg KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-04-19-21-43-36_29.jpeg

18~19/04/17

I just keep doing on the sketchbook. I usually concentrate to do 2~3pages drawing per day. I should have studied for Progress 2017 English Language Test which I will take tomorrow and on the day after tmr. I did not really study at all even one page of the IELTS book. I think I'm screwed..I might need to take that again after study on May. I already have overall 6score but unfortunately, I have to take again because It will be expired 2 month before BA starts. It's toooooooo sad..Anyway good luck to me;(.

20~23/04/17

First off, I got the alternative IELTS test in UAL on 20th, 21st. The topic was about art. It was not that tough to me, however, I overlooked it. I don't know exactly my score but I think everything is quit alright just except for READING....It reminded me the english test I screwed in my high school. I usually can't read the article quickly. but It asked me to read 3pages and solve 25 questions for 45 min.. I need to prepare next test on 19th May ,even if it's a little, and take that. GOOD LUCK MYSELF. Oh, and whenever I go to UAL office, I really think the surrealistic sculpture on the ground floor is really amazing. That look like real thing..even I have discussed about it whether It's real or not...lol I thought It's real person who love bird..

And I am still developing my idea and design by portraying!!!!!!!to be quite simple but innovatively. Today(23rd), I scanned pages having various process like research, portraying, draping, some 3Dworks and son on. and I sticked the various images on the four A2 sheets to show very well.

02/03/17

Today, we also had individual tutorial with Alice. I have already had group tutorial so I didn't join the tutorial and did the research about my project. I tried to find more interesting mood images about war. I wanted to find some shape from refugees' life so I had to explain the previous process like Syria civil war or the biggest victims of the war like the the people who lost dear family before I fill their life in sketchbook. I tried finding about the civil war stories. Basically, A civil war is a war between organized groups within the same state or country. The aim of one side may be to take control of the country or a region, to achieve independence for a region or to change government or policies. even though there are many people who don't wanna join the war, They have to flee there home and escape from the country because It's possible that their home is destroyed. I think It's too bad for them..They are almost forced to get away from their country. There are a lot of people lost their family member as well..so I wanted to explain their story before I give an explanation about refugees. I wanted people to understand my concept and content.

09/03/17

I had class in archway on this week. there are so many machines I can try and use like heat presser sewing machine painting materials so tutors leaded us to use these machines if its suitable to use in our process of concept. but I wanted to just do the drawing at that time..but tutor told me even just try to weave if i don't wanna do any other things. so I tried weaving with some fabric which the colour quite matches with my work. I had compliments about that and I thought using some fabric ,when I develop my idea, is really good way so I will participate it if there is these kinds of lessons more in class.

14~16/03/17

I brought some sleeping bags, duvet and some stuffs rolled and tried to tie or put them on the body with various method many times because I wanted to find interesting shapes in reality. And then I drew more specifically on the printed images as well as did collage with previous developing portraying. I could come up with more detailed designs since I did it.

In the library, I found many books about refugees life especially their temporal shelters like 'Shelter and society' by Barrie and Jenkins. they were really impressive and inspired me to think about really various shapes from silhouette and details of them

27/03/17~01/04/17

I had a travel to Iceland with my friends studying in same foundation course for about six days. During the journey I got a load of  inspirations and ideas from all images surrounded me. Everything is really big different from England. First of all the nature and its colors were just magnificent and incredible. I have never seen these huge nature before. I could see amazing green field and mountains covered ice for six days even the view was really crazy while driving as well. a few really huge water falls and blue ice bergs were just overwhelming. These natures is really impressive and gave me many thoughts and inspirations. Unfortunately, It was hard to see the perfect Northern lights but I could get a bit of that and shooting star. especially, the stars on the sky was really insane. I don't know why but I have never seen these things in city. It was really amazing. I did not only just spend very valuable time with my friends but also This chance to being in the nature is really huge part in my mind, especially, for my projects.

14~17/04/17

I still continued working on my sketchbook like drawing and drawing and research and research for this whole time, I knew that everyone was planing or already started making garment. I got a bit scared as I didn't plane to manipulate garment on this project. I focused more about drawing. If I wanted to do a garment I might think to make perfectly made and concentrate more on the details than the shape . I got stressed by that I have never made my own perfect patterns and to sew properly. .of course, I have made many garments before but they are not that perfect drafts I just cut and added on the classic jacket patterns. I hope to learn how to make drafts first. 

24/04/17

Tomorrow is the day to hand in every stuffs I did for Unit7. so I posted every secondary research and artist research which I didn't upload on the workflow. and I got the final designs as final line up drawing. I could get what I was really lack and what I really should get ready to get in BA by writing down Evaluation.

To be fair, I'm quite scared the fact that it's possible to get the Refer because I didn't finish this project as garment.., I especially focused to coming up with abstract designs by portraying much more though. I will learn and make up what I am lacking myself before BA starts like pattern making.